Friday, March 16, 2012

The Leprechaun's SECRET to GOOD LUCK- Service Project

It's St. Patrick's Day TOMORROW. Wow, it kinda snuck up on me. I promised a friend I'd hurry and do this post before then, so here I go.

Ok, so let me start by saying- WE LOVE HOLIDAYS. Give us ANY reason to celebrate and throw a party and WE WILL. St. Patrick's Day is no exception. It seems to be one of those overlooked holidays, doesn't it? I think it's fun to learn the history of how the holiday came to be, so my family and I started a tradition a couple years ago that I'm going to share with you.

First, we listen to Irish/Celtic music all day long. Here's a playlist of our favorite Irish/Celtic Irish/Celtic music from Grooveshark.We're really into music of all different kinds, so it works for us. As we get into the spirit of the day, we teach the history behind the holiday to the kids. I've included the links we use: The history behind St. Patrick's Day and fun facts about the holiday, clovers, the Irish, and St. Patrick himself. I like these versions (from Kaboose) because they're fun and easy for kids to understand.
As we eat our breakfast, (see my recipe for Green Pina Colada Waffles here), we make a game plan as we think of different acts of service we can do for people in our area. For one of our projects last year, we weeded a small garden for a neighbor (we did it while they weren't home) and left a treat and a note:
To use this image, right click and save as picture to desktop.
In a word document, insert this pic (from file-- desktop), resize, and print.
 Actually, we left a little different version, but I changed it up a bit for this year.
(I sure hope they don't see this, or our cover's blown!)
Sorry about the blurry pic.
My kids- finding joy in service.
 Not sure he's likin' it yet. Notice the jacket... WITH shorts and flip-flops. Yeah, I know.
He's got a big one...and a dirt smudge on his head.
No, he's not a contortionist. He's just holding his handful of weeds awkwardly.

Rainbow marshmallow pictures was another activity we did.

FOOD-
Some times, we go authentic and eat traditional Irish food, which I love! Tons of recipes found here.

But most of the time, we just eat green food (my kids eat it better). Click here for my BLT Club Wrap w/ Avacado on a Spinach & Herb Tortilla recipe. Click here for my Fruit rainbow-topped jello. Click here for my Creamy Asparagus Soup recipe.

After a long day of service, we enjoyed a nice, candle-lit green meal-

For this particular meal, we had those wraps mentioned above, Guacamole chips, brocco-flower, celery, green grapes, kiwi, and green-colored Sprite. We also had a green salad (not pictured).

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I love your blog! Your family is great! Greetings from Austria.

http://missflamboyante.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/st-patricks-day-in-vienna/

children music online said...

Hi Admin,
Just gorgeous one,because of I am seeking of this information and finally i have gotten here.Do you ever wonder if you can make the right musical choices for child? Are you concerned that your lack of musical understanding is going to hinder your child's musical growth? You can be confident that your child can flourish beyond your own experience.see more in Kids Songs Online
Best Pleasant,
kids songs online